Heroes and Villains: Day 8
Sonnet for Beverly Switzler
We were always of this world. There is
A special providence in the fall of
A duck. The cosmic writer takes the piss
And sends a worse script than I can recall of:
A world of apes and powers. A bizarre
Collage of novelty and vulgar danger.
To be a duck here somehow is too far--
The god, raccoon, and magus call me stranger.
If not to save, then why in either hell
Was I sent, of the billions of mergansers?
"We picked each other up after we fell,"
You say, and though it isn't quite an answer
It's very late. Your head is on my chest.
We've followed weirder streams than this to nest.
We were always of this world. There is
A special providence in the fall of
A duck. The cosmic writer takes the piss
And sends a worse script than I can recall of:
A world of apes and powers. A bizarre
Collage of novelty and vulgar danger.
To be a duck here somehow is too far--
The god, raccoon, and magus call me stranger.
If not to save, then why in either hell
Was I sent, of the billions of mergansers?
"We picked each other up after we fell,"
You say, and though it isn't quite an answer
It's very late. Your head is on my chest.
We've followed weirder streams than this to nest.

Comments
Post a Comment
Comments are moderated to block spam. Thanks for sharing.