6/30
A wrap
Ask not for whom the Taco Bell tolls.
Roll your eyes if you must:
I know what is on my tray; it is something more
to me. Except for perverts of course, none of us
remember what mother's milk tastes like.
This is the certainty that feeds me
now. Beans, cheese, flesh, a tincture
of familiar spices, the illusion
of variety swaddled in a thick
bleached blanket. I will take it
every time. It will be the last thing
I can afford. At these prices I know it is killing me,
and dying, I am fulfilling someone's prophecy.
But if I leave you behind, don't look for meaning
on the Value Menu, nor shroud me in Fire Sauce
and fake Spanish. I was ordered to go.
I have run for the Border.
This poem is fantastic. I may use it in SUNY.
ReplyDelete"They say it was written by a man who once taught here, until he went insane..."
ReplyDelete