29/30

Never guess

I filled out my SATs in #3 pencil
because I do not take direction well
because I love how the graphite resists
the spaces on the virgin sheet
because of the way the little lead balloons shine
and smudge under the fluorescent hymn
and the watchful gaze
because I shall not erase this afternoon
because someone must pity things
not made to be soft
because Joe Bloggs is a prisoner of conscience
because someone somewhere is resisting arrest
because my savior is both one and three
because tests are very important, and three
is exactly 50% more than two
because she kissed me on the cheek
when I told her the plan half-joking
because her eyes smile sideways when she thinks
I'm being wicked
because no one tried to stop me
because no one said a thing
because secrets must answer secrets
I filled out my SATs with a #3 pencil
because they told me not to
everyone else failed that part of the exam

Comments