28/30

 The Learn'd Astronomer

As my colleagues orbited the lectern, glad with the mass 
of conjecture and accolade, I saw him hurry to the door, rough coat
and portfolio clutched, like a spurned son might leave 
the reading of a will. I thought he had a forgotten appointment.
Now I read it was an appointment I assigned him
as I named the bodies, the motions of their return. 
I know what I saw. Poet, your kind pencil would not add
these figures to another sum. A result is; it is not born.

My small guess at the universe was right, therefore I had the floor
and the hour on the handbill. Poet, my wrong guesses buy no time,
and you saw the chart drawn with this shaking hand. So I do not guess
what made our dying bodies, our irreproducible wants. Poet, I wonder
about your consolation. Which stars would I bring down from our sky
if I had forever to learn them?

Comments