5 of 30, 2016

Ed, Ed, and Ezzie

since junejuly found us rent-
poor and anyway

we (besides the flock
of canary its edna posts

about the fridge) never talk i

have called this house
meeting

seven

bring snacks and
not baggage
thanks

e

###

I am not the Lord of Hosts to judge,
Nor am I Janus, blessed with seeing.
I know not which sweet lips consumed my fudge,
whose hands did not restore the seat post-peeing.

When last I binned our heaps of Miller cans
Ezra just smirked, and cough-whispered "Mannish--"
O, capital if you or Ed could act the man,
When not enthralled translating from the Spanish.

The seasons change; the chore-wheel turns.
My breast aches with--I fear--consumptive cough.
A light within me with her memory burns,
But when I leave, I turn the porch-light off.

###

Caro Antonio, find me a cold-water walk-up, free
Of everything not paper and lofty thoughts.
Even a Capuchin's cell would do instead of this.
The promises that were made! The Levantine generosity
And Scrabble nights. Damn the eyes of Craig
And his list! How quickly mates traded wine for gall,
Offers to "borrow my Civic anytime" from my hands
Untimely ripp'd. Little wonder filth finds purchase
On finishing school gloves. It realizes, Ex Nihilo,
Ex florid quatrains, Ex typesetter's gimmicks
On the vellum. Already have I proffered
This widower's talent. O beg me not for gnomish gold,
Not until Thursday, a date by which Gary has sworn
He shall get me back.

from a prompt by Erez Solomon

Comments