30:30 2014, Day 17

The List

Snow arrives on the North Shore,
another commuter, and lingers
to numb the ground against
a pain in the hot days that may
never come. Los Angeles
has been kicked out
of the four seasons. The Santa Anas
parch young skin, fill lungs
with smoke. Everyone there drives
in seach of local anesthesia.
Lindsay, I believe you

if you say you were having
a laugh scratching out a list
of good and great men
who failed to answer
your riddle. I see you in Us,
heartbroke Helen who couldn't ruin
a single suitor, who swallowed
the war and moved to Reno.
I can't buy the gossip

that you took up the myth you made
as a girl, that on some strange day
two people can touch and trade
souls until they learn some expected
nonsense about being nice.
The apple doesn't say For The
Nicest. If you can find blonde
in a bottle you can find anything there.

Comments