12 of 30
We have always lived in the castle
I used to live in that house, says my father,
driving down Frontage. On the cusp
of the ghetto then; squarely in it now.
The wonderful thing about progress is
never having to feel like you've returned
anywhere. On a road that leads now
to a Trader Joe's, for God's sake, there's
a shopping center we used to call
The Jew Plaza: a Loehmann's, a Chinese
restaurant, and a bagel shop. Loehmann's
is gone, now a Rainbow or Joyce Leslie
or such, vending flammable clothes
for prostitutes. Bagels are gone, too, but
it's become a bank, so I feel we usurious
Jews still have our hand in. Golden Palace
remains, its grease and red velvet, the sweet
and sour thick as library paste and tasting
of cherry Lifesavers. My grandmother
would haunt the landlord if it ever closed.
It was a nice house, Dad continues,
close to campus. Then I met your mother--
and we know the rest of the story. I remember
hearing the bells of that church. Still standing.
Still a church.
Comments
Post a Comment
Comments are moderated to block spam. Thanks for sharing.