11 of 30
What if the sky were green?
"...we wouldn't know where to stop mowing."
- Judge Harry Stone, Night Court
Because sight lies, I am learning
to fly blindered, nothing but numbers.
My sky is the billiard-table felt
that lines the training goggles.
I read the story as I tell it: the plan,
the place, the velocity. I focus
on the glyphs, but what I want
as I check my bank and attitude
in the artificial horizon is to see
something besides this nothing.
These needful hours with no proof
of flight but numbers
and the trainer's initials. My wings
mop and mow under rough air.
Everything is pool-hall green
and trying not to die, another
preventable catastrophe chalked
up to pilot error. I want to think
of a metaphor, but what vehicle
is left when flying is the given?
Comments
Post a Comment
Comments are moderated to block spam. Thanks for sharing.