Holiday 1
April Fools' Day
I pull back the curtain an inch and peek out.
The date makes me fashion a nest with
a swaddle of lofted impregnable doubt:
a rat warmed by chewed-up asbestos.
Who wants to make whoopee when you can keep calm?
The candy's no safer than snakes.
The buzz of joy was once too in your palm--
who needs more than honest mistakes?
The principled move is to stare at the ceiling
and dwell on the hue of the paint.
I'll be gladly dead when they start revealing
the lies that will make me a saint.
I pull back the curtain an inch and peek out.
The date makes me fashion a nest with
a swaddle of lofted impregnable doubt:
a rat warmed by chewed-up asbestos.
Who wants to make whoopee when you can keep calm?
The candy's no safer than snakes.
The buzz of joy was once too in your palm--
who needs more than honest mistakes?
The principled move is to stare at the ceiling
and dwell on the hue of the paint.
I'll be gladly dead when they start revealing
the lies that will make me a saint.
Comments
Post a Comment
Comments are moderated to block spam. Thanks for sharing.