Prompted, hideously.

[A prompt from Niina's blog, to use the term "charred pancake cup" in a poem. Turns out it's a fungus, a cousin to all the fungi named in this poem.]

Saint Anthony’s Fire

As if the yeast were outraged
by my Natural Ice, my Wonder
Bread, the white truffles
bored by my ritual indulgences.
As if the lichens refused to show
me the way. As if the penicillin
knew I was never worth saving.
The little wineskins let loose
upon the rye fields, put witchcraft
in my mind and a shimmer at the edge
of seeing. This is how I saw

them, little flesh-touch dreams
growing in the damp, so clearly:
the black felt cup, the winter urn, 
the devil’s cigar. The charred
pancake cup, the fractal Venetian lace
of carbon over cheery golden batter. 
Ergotic, nature-drunk I named it
for the mistake every cook makes, heard
some nonexistent uncle remind, Marriages
are like pancakes—you have to throw out
the first couple before you get it right.

Comments

  1. "fractal Venetian lace / of carbon over cheery golden batter." Immaculate. As is "put witchcraft / in my mind and a shimmer / at the edge of seeing."

    And it ended in some kind of normal place despite all the bizarre fungi. I'm pleased and impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dictionary/wikipedia wrote most of that for me. Fungi are just amazing, both in biology and nomenclature.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated to block spam. Thanks for sharing.